Wednesday, October 27, 2010

When a habit becomes...

This morning, I stumbled upon a great realization! What I had thought would be a mega wrestling match had been, in fact, a surprisingly simple change.

3 weeks ago, a friend's husband asked me how my writing was going. He doesn't know what I'm working on, just that I enjoy it and hope to become published someday-over-the-rainbow kind of thing. I was happy that he asked, then proceeded to give him my list of perfectly reasonable excuses as to why I haven't been writing lately - I've been really tired with the kids, don't have a lot of spare time, blah, blah, blah. I heard myself tell him these ridiculous things, and luckily snapped myself out of a rut.

I didn't have time because I didn't make time to write. I didn't plant myself in front of my computer everyday. Instead, I was waiting for the elusive muse to drop in and help me compose my masterpiece - a story which has already been fulfilled and is just aching to be told.

Thank you, Jeremy, for inadvertently snapping me out of my self-induced wretchedness.

The very next morning, I got up at 5 am to sit at my computer and write. And did so for 7 days straight. In those 7 days, I cranked out 28 pages of my first draft. It was a feat I'd never yet been able to accomplish. I usually delete my works-in-progress after the first couple page, devestated by their lack of wit, charm, and sense.

Here I am. I took the last 4 mornings off (the husband had a 4 day weekend, and it's significantly harder to leave our warm, comfortable bed when he's home). My goal is to attack my WIP with renewed vigor, and a fresh sense of purpose. I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo this year. I have a few ideas for novels that have been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I may set my current project aside for the month of November to bring one of them to life. Or, I may simply continue on with my current writing love and frantically type along with the comforting knowledge that there are others doing the same thing as me.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment