Wednesday, November 3, 2010

As the darkness fades

I am still utterly exhausted. It's 6:57 am as I type, which means I've already been awake for 3 hours. Oi.

Yesterday was amazingly productive. We bought a car.

Jerry came home from work at an alarmingly decent time, and after sitting for a few minutes, we decided it would be best to go out and continue our car shopping. On Monday, we'd looked at an Explorer in L.A. Yesterday, we went south to look at a Taurus. Just coming out of a bankruptcy, we expected the worst possible interest rate.

It seems that we got one of the most decent salesmen at the lot. I'm just guessing from the way the other salesmen carried themselves and talked to us. We went down there with Taurus in mind. Eventually, we got them talked down 1500 under their sticker price, which is about 3,000 lower than what the car is worth Blue Book wise. It's a 2006 Ford Taurus (a sedan) with only a little over 31,000 miles. The inside is extremely clean, and the back seat has gobs of room, much to Zachary's delight. To my absolute delight, we got the car I personally had my sights set on (Jerry really wanted the SUV... he likes his 4x4). He is, however, very pleased that we got the car that I really wanted (it tends to go the other way around).

It cost about $20 less to fill the entire tank, and gets nearly double the MPG the truck gets. I really feel like we did the right thing. We both loved the Explorer we looked at in LA but this car has significantly lower miles (almost by half!) and will be more economical. We do hope to get the truck fixed over the next year, and I think it will be good for Jerry to have something to work on (though I wouldn't have minded if it was something less expensive than our engine).

While at the dealership, Zach had his first poop accident. He's been out of diapers for nearly a month, so on one hand I almost feel lucky that this is the only one so far, but lemme tell you, it was one of the most unpleasant things I've had to deal with in my time as a mother. Ew, yuck, ick, gross. Zach was, of course, delighted that I used such words that he could mimic me while I tried to clean him up. He had no problem informing as I wiped his butt that was cleaning up poop. A mini Captain Obvious.

7:12 am. Today's adventure in mothering will be kicking off very soon - Zach usually wakes up about this time. Today's plan - return our rental. We got the cheapest possible car for the week, which turned out to be an extremely uncomfortable and basic 2 door Toyota Yaris. It doesn't have power anything. Ick. Needless to say, with little kids and big car seats, a 2 door is not convenient. I can't wait to return it (and never sit in one again!).

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! 4-doors are much better! Even if you're not a mom and dad... :P I'm glad you guys got a good deal! And congrats to Zach for being out of diapers! :D

    ReplyDelete